Spring is here and we are heading into the BBQ/summer season soon! I decided to celebrate Cinco de Mayo this year by creating a mildy spicy marinade that is versatile and delicious. What makes this marinade so good? The tequila, citrus, and spices come together in this sauce and make a fabulous union. The Tequila Fajitas are made with chicken but you can use this marinade on any protein! Beef, pork, shrimp or fish. I also provided the recipe for the BBQ Steak Tequila Fajitas below. The chili oil adds a nice hue of heat that enhances the flavor! This recipe can be used for various venues including family and other social gatherings. A definite candidate for a make-ahead dish because the day before you can make your marinade, slice, and julienne the vegetables and pick your sides. The next day all you have to do is grill the meat, veggies and warm up your tender and delicious tortillas.
- 1½ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast*
- 3 tablespoons chili oil, divided (see recipe on website)
- juice from 2 limes
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons tequila
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 mini-sweet pepper, julienned
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 green bell pepper, julienned
- 1 medium Spanish onion, sliced
- 4 scallions, washed and sliced in half
- 8 flour tortillas, warmed
- topping suggestions: salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, guacamole. lime wedges
- Slice chicken breast into thin strips.
- In a small bowl combine 1tablespoon of chili oil, lime juice, lemon juice, tequila, lime zest, brown sugar, oregano, black pepper, sea salt, smoked paprika, cumin, and cilantro. Stir.
- Place chicken in a resealable plastic bag and pour marinade on top. Distribute marinade throughout the meat by rubbing in the bag. Place in the refrigerator to marinade for at least 2 hours.
- Julienne mini-sweet and red bell peppers. Slice the spanish onion and set aside.
- Brush 1 tablespoon of oil onto the grill. Heat on medium heat.
- Add peppers, onions and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until softened. Place on a platter.
- Remove marinaded chicken from the refrigerator.
- Drain meat in a colander. Brush additional oil onto grill. Warm up on medium heat and add chicken.
- Grill until cooked in approximately 5 minutes or until tender and done.
- Returned sauteed vegetables to the pan and briefly saute both the chicken and vegetables together. Remove from heat.
- Warm crepe or small fry pan on medium heat. Warm tortillas on both sides.
*BBQ Steak Tequila Fajitas
*If making the BBQ Steak Fajitas make sure to use 1 pound of steak meat per marinade quantity. The red meat is a tougher protein and needs more marinade to help tenderize it. You can use skirt or sirloin steak. You can put the steak on an indoor grill as I did with the chicken but I prefer to use an outdoor grill for these BBQ Steak Fajitas! Light the grill and put on medium high heat. You can saute the vegetables on the grill in the proper utensil or on aluminum foil until tender and set aside. You can also saute the vegetables on an indoor pan. Give meat time to rest from the cold refrigerator to come closer to room temperature for at least 30 minutes before putting on the grill. Add the steak and cook on both sides for 5 minutes or you like your meat. Remove from heat and let rest for at least 10 minutes. Slice and serve with sauteed vegetables.
If you make this recipe for yourself be sure to let me know what you think in the comments.
Recipe Copyright © 2017 Carla Crudup. All Rights Reserved.